After a storm, you need to act quickly to prevent further damage to your roof which can worsen with time. Advisably, you should make a thorough inspection of your roof and also employ the services of roofing professionals in case you don’t have experience regarding roof inspection. You should avoid getting to the top of your roof immediately after the storm but instead, use binoculars to assess the level of the damage caused. Undoubtedly, if you get to the top of the roof without making a prior assessment, you are at a risk of falling and injuring yourself in case the roof crumbles. Below are several tips to follow when it comes to ensuring that your home is prepared for future storms.
- Make careful examinations noting all missing shingles or tabs. These will be sure signs that the storm caused roof damage and repairs are required.
- Inspect whether there are any cracks in the shingles or in areas where shingles have curled or buckled.
- Look for areas where there is a substantial amount of shingles with missing granules.
- Inspect whether there are any missing roofing nails due to nail pop since it can cause shingles to weaken and loosen.
- Carefully inspect the multilevel roofs at the intersections with the walls which ensure there are no openings through which water can sip through.
- Check for any separations of the flashings from attic fans, skylights, vents, and chimneys. Notably, these separations can be very small to notice which calls for a thorough inspection to ensure that you are not exposed to future interior water damage.
- Thoroughly check the ceilings for any bubbles in the wallboard or telltale discolorations.
In a nutshell, roof inspection can be a dangerous task especially if you do not have prior experience. As such, it should be carried out by insured, licensed, and qualified roofing contractors. In case you suspect any level of damage after the initial inspection, you should contact an experienced roofing contractor within your neighborhood to make the necessary repairs.
If you need a roof replacement or deck installation, contact the team at Edwards Roofing and Repair today!